Tuesday, December 2, 2008

.: Mind your language :.


The first lesson.

Anyone remember the comedy series? Besides Mr. Bean and The Black Adder, those series paved me the path to discovering the dryness of British humor. *now the theme song is stuck in my head ... crap*


The whole time during Hajj, I spent most of my time conversing in English, Malay and Indonesian. By now, most of you would know that my sister adopted a Pakistani brother. *will there be more drama this Eid?*

This was pretty much the first conversation we had then, after the adoption. *coughs*

Sis :: Why don't you speak to him in his language?
Me :: Urdu? I can't speak Urdu.
Sis :: Of course you can. It sounds Hindi.
Me :: Think they share a common lexicon, when spoken on a colloquial scale are virtually identical.
Sis :: It's the same then. Go speak to him in Hindi.
Me :: I can't speak Hindi.
Sis :: Look here. Of course you can. Haven't auntie exposed us to tonnes of Hindi movies?
Me :: I don't remember any. *so i lied ... haha!*
Sis :: I'll teach you some.
Me :: Why don't you speak to him?
Sis :: You guys connect better. Repeat after me - mera nam Hajar. You are mere dosti?
Me :: Hogwash! I can't be speaking in a hodge-podge language.
Sis :: Come on. Repeat after me!
Me :: No! I shall not bastardize the language!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

In truth, I do know some Hindi. My aunt was like one huge Big B fan, hence at the rate she was feeding us with his movies, it is nearly impossible for us to not pick up any of the language. Even now, we still have our daily dosage of Hindi 101, courtesy of the Zee Channel. Obviously, my Hindi is nowhere near the intermediate level.

These days, I'll throw in a word or two in my conversations with my sis to spite her. *her present superior is a British born Pakistani.* I like to tease her about this. Not that I'm being bigoted, it's just that he is driving her up the wall so I'm trying to ease it up a little for her. Actually, I am in agreement to most of his methods. Then again, what works for some may not work for others. Judging from the present situation, no matter the amount of talks we have about this, it is sometimes pointless to make people see things in the same way just because it is arduous. *plus the fact of being total opposites.* Guess communication and compromise are the next best things.

One time I told her, "He can't be that sarcastic. Hey, I wanna meet him. You always say I am all goody-goody. Tell him to bring his wifey, kiddies and whomsoever he pleases for lunch or something ... we could have a casual chat, and perhaps something good will turn out of it." In which my sis responded with, "You are a Paki lover!". *What? talk about sending me a free trip to the land of perplexity* Eventually, the nick stuck on to me. *jolly days are here again!*


What a tangled web.
9.14am Malaysian Time
Post a Comment