Friday, February 13, 2009

.: Saint Valentine's day :.


Saying I love you.

Being blatantly frank, I don't celebrate it. Not because it has anything to do with the connections as a pagan festival, a day for martyrs, celebrating love etc. More of the fact that I perceive love is rejoiced everyday thus special days such as this never seem to exist in my calendar of events. Nevertheless, Happy Valentine's Day to everyone. :)

One of the discussions I had with Uncle Faiz Teh, the utterly hilariously sweet Chinese convert when I boarded his cab months ago.

Uncle Faiz:: I want to ask you, how often do you tell your parents you love them?
Me:: Maybe once a year. Displaying acts of affection in the household is quite uncommon.
Uncle Faiz:: That is not right. Doing so carries great significance to the receiver.
Me:: Precisely, but it’s pretty much understood. And if I suddenly start saying it everyday, I can’t imagine the reaction from my parents.
Uncle Faiz:: Even though it’s understood, saying it takes it to another level. The thing about us is we find it so difficult to say our feelings out loud.
Me:: I suppose, we cling onto the actions speaks louder than words concept, that we neglect the fact that words can move mountains. Sometimes, all it takes are just saying those few words.
Uncle Faiz:: Try it. It’ll bring wonders. :) To get you started, you can tell them I love them. :)

I believe he’s dead right on that.
After relating it to my parents, they both burst out laughing.

Dad used to hum, singing along to Bee Gees, Words. :)
9.39am Malaysian Time

7 comments:

Solace In Islam said...

Saying you love someone is nice, but showing it is also important. Showing it can be done daily with little gestures of kindness or even just showing respect to someone.

Anonymous said...

He is absolutely right too.

Tell them I love them too, and you, and Uncle Faiz too :)

Ya Haqq!

BMW said...

Saalah Hajar!
Sorry for the late reply. Yea, they are the same as chick peas. Let me know how it comes out if you make it, also make sure you use enough chicken or vegatable stock. Hope all is well inshAllah :)

-Ihssan

Sketched Soul said...

As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dearest sister,

Oh, what a cute post.. :D I love you too.

Yes, I must agree with Uncle Faiz.. although I pretty much would have said everything you said!

Take care
Love Farhana

Aisyah Mazelan said...

I don't celebrate Valentine's Day too as I think that we should tell our loved ones that we love them every day.

One thing I like about this day is there would be so many romance movies on HBO. :)

Yoli said...

Happy Valentine's Day heavenly writer!

Hajar Alwi said...

Solace In Islam :: I second to that. :)

Brother Irving :: So sweet~~~! Likewise to you and your lovely family, the missus above all. Unfortunately, I'm unable to pass it to Uncle Faiz as I didn't get his contact info.

Ihssan :: No fret over it. ^^ So far, I've yet to do anything with chickpeas, so it's really something new. Insya'Allah, I'll notify you when I get the chance to experiment around. And thanks for the response. :)

Sketched Soul :: Wa'alaikumussalam wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh dear Sister Farhana. Aww~ I heart you too. ^^

Miss Ash :: Enjoy your movie marathons! I was out for the whole day. ^

Yoli :: To you as well, dear delightful fencer! ^^

-----
hajar