Tuesday, February 3, 2009

.: Happy birthday :.


To the Jade Emperor.

Traditionally celebrated on the 9th day of the lunar new year.

Living among the Hokkien community for most of my life, I have grown accustomed to the fireworks and firecrackers displays. At the stroke of midnight yesterday, I was woken from my slumber to the crackles of fireworks that lasted till 1am.


Peeked through the glass panels of the sliding doors, in awe of the sky illuminated with the glorious shades of a spectacle of colors. Soon after, there we were, my sis and I standing in front of the house, beholding the fireworks while some of my neighbors paid homage to the Jade Emperor.

Sis :: Times like these remind me that we have many Chinese neighbors.

Fireworks and firecrackers are as far as I know, banned in Malaysia, although special permits are issued for certain purposes. Both items nevertheless, are practically an essential part of Chinese New Year. Without it, does not equal to a celebration. Even though we were disturbed with the loud bangs, *people, the next day is a working day! I'm sleep deprived!* I guess we got caught along with the manifested festive mood and couldn't help but join in the excitement.
On top of that, the kid in me went goo-gah allover. *sorry sis, I just had to use that term*

Ironically, a couple of hours earlier, I was in a state of uncertainty.


Being outside at half-past midnight, listening to the animated cheers from neighbors, reminded me of one of the jemaah sessions I had in Makkah. The speaker mentioned on how safe it is there, and that Malaysia fails in comparison. Yet, yesterday, it never felt any safer.

At work, just received a hong bao from a colleague. :)
10.04am Malaysian Time

4 comments:

Ms.Unique said...

Hmm ... in the middle of midnight loool .... interesting though ...

Lisa B said...

very pretty shots, although I am not a fan of fireworks at all. I always think of how the noise frightens the animals (my cats are always so scared, and the horses in the fields) and how much it all costs.

Aisyah Mazelan said...

Someone in my neighbourhood burnt fireworks for like 45 minutes on the midnight. So, I couldn't sleep. Then, in 3 am in the morning, I heard those fireworks again and I fell asleep at 4 am in the morning. Ahh.

BTW, love those pictures!

Hajar Alwi said...

Ms. Unique :: Good thing I don't have curfew. :)

Lisa B :: Thanks. ^ I think the animals here are quite used to it. :) Ahh yes, the costs. After knowing the price, I was like, "It's not everyday you get to fire up your stacks of cash, eh?"

Miss Ash :: And you have school the next day! Aih~ Btw, thanks for the compliments. :)

-----
hajar