Thursday, January 15, 2009

.: An air of vileness :.


Obscuring the little minds.


This was my response to Sister Mona's post, Terror.

I had this talk with my sis a couple of days ago. I was telling her how disturbed I felt having the images splashed allover the telly, to which she said they're just showing facts. Facts, yes yet the audience comprises of other ages that may not be able to comprehend it. Kids are highly imaginative, and you never know how they digest this kind of information. These days, I remove myself from the telly and prefer to read it online.

As it is, I have little cousins that swear in their daily conversations. The amount of garbage they spoke of, mostly taken from the telly. Throughout my early years, family monitored my telly access. My siblings used to cover my ears and eyes if there's anything improper. Even so, they keep me abreast of what's happening, minus the visual aids.

We don't want you to be grateful of what you have only after seeing the sufferings of others. We are not shielding you from seeing the truth. We are teaching you to see it from your mind, your heart, not just from your eyes or ears.

Don't ever show Child's Play to your kids.
They might turn out the way I do.*my brother had it around the house* On the war, after seeing one too many images, I still have vivid nightmares of the bloody massacre. I can't even begin to imagine what it does to kids.

Sleepless nights are becoming a norm.
9.44pm Malaysian Time

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Assalamualaikum Hajar.
Alhamdulillah, at home we limit the tv to only certain time. During the news, kids will be reading the Qur'an and adults can watch. Afternoon after they finish their Qiraati & Tuition, they're allowed to watch for 1 & half hour.
Kids can really imitate bad language from tv and also friends at school although we try our best to communicate in Islamic way.

Maybe that box shouldn't be inside our house at all. Maybe...

Michelle Therese said...

We never watch TV. It's just too vile now. Too much ungodly nonsense even in the commercials! Instead we rent DVDs. But even then, not very often.

Hajar Alwi said...

W'salam Kak Chik :: The box isn't all that bad. Exercising vigilance, moderation helps. :) My day must have been laborious cos I can't remember most of the stuff that I wrote.

Coffee Catholic :: Can this be ... sister Michelle?! Welcome to the blog. ^ I'll get to the email soon. Btw, the answer is yes. :)

Ours are still pretty decent, since we have the censorship board. Certainly the system isn't perfect, having hiccups here and there. Satellite tv are on a totally separate ballpark. :(

-----
hajar

Aisyah Mazelan said...

I never watch House of Wax 'til the end. Everytime I watch it, after like 1 hour, I will start screaming at my sister, asking her to turn off the CD player.

Hajar Alwi said...

Scary movies do not have any effect on me. I only start screaming at my sister when she watches all those romance movies. I am guessing you do not have a brother like mine. :)

-----
hajar

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog. ;)

Normally my girls only watch kid's shows on pbs (public tv, better tv than the normal channels, no swearing/adult jokes) and I try to cover their eyes if they're watching tv with us and something questionable comes up.

Hajar Alwi said...

Let me guess ... cruised over from Lisa's? :)

Hey, I used to watch PBS shows during my toddler years! Oh wait, I still do. :)