Monday, June 28, 2010

.: Uncovering uncertainties :.


Past the obscure depths hidden deep within our souls.

It was one of those days where I logged into QQ messenger to leave a message for my little brother. Surprisingly he was online so we decided to chat for a while. Moments later I told him I'll be back in 15mins because I wanted to do my prayers. That was when he asked ...



What is praying? Why do you pray?


In the past, I never query him about his religion although I have a feeling he doesn't have one. I didn't anticipate this so I was quite taken aback. His questions brought me to a certain memory. A friend asked those questions when I was in primary school. At that time, I was praying because my parents told me that God commands us to pray. I basically replicated that answer to my friend, but he wasn't satisfied with it. He wanted to know why God commands us to pray, and even if God commands us, why must we follow what God tells us to do.

I didn't like it when I said, "Because God tells us to do! End of discussion!". In the end,
I was terribly upset because I couldn't provide him with a satisfactory answer. But that dissatisfaction was nothing as compared to the amount of dissatisfaction I had towards my own self. So I began to ask myself, "Why do I pray?"

~

A few minutes later, I regained my composure and answered as so:

Praying is a part of my religion. It is a central part of my belief; that there is a supreme being known as God, and I pray to Him because I wish to speak to Him. To tell him about my worries, my hopes, my dreams, my sadness, my anger ... anything. Because of that, I can find inner peace, comfort and salvation. I feel relieved because I am able to let my feelings out, and I know God is always there for me so I also thank Him through my prayers.

Perhaps last week was the unofficial praying curiosity week, or my friends and I happened to go online during prayer times. Two other friends; both are atheists also asked the exact questions.

Note : My little brother is not related to me by blood.

感谢真主.
4.36pm Malaysian Time

5 comments:

Nadia said...

That's a beautiful answer! MashaAllah

Hajar Alwi said...

Aww~ thanks love. :)

Jeanne-ming Brantingham said...

good answer.

Abu Pokemon said...

Is it the same little brother?

Hajar Alwi said...

Jeanne-ming :: Thanks sis. :)

Abu Pokemon :: No. This little brother is from China. :)